Health Ministry News for July 10
Meals to new parents! Have you just welcomed a new baby into your home and family? We know how hectic those first few weeks can be. There are a number of parishioners willing to bring a meal into your home during this time. Call Marge Wehman at 724-448-4482 if you have just welcomed a new member into your household!
July is Social Wellness Month.
Positive social habits can help you build support systems and stay healthier mentally and physically. This month we will explore some each week.
Make Connections –Scientists are finding that our links with others can have powerful, positive effects on our health. To find new social connections:
- Join a group focused on a favorite hobby
- Take a class to try something new
- Try yoga or aerobics or the exercise room at the new Heckart Center
- Join a choral group, theater group, band or orchestra
- Help out at the park department community garden or the Giving Garden here at St. Vincent DePaul
- Volunteer at Open Door, at our parish school, at Bothwell Hospital
- Travel to new places and meet new people
Take care of yourself while caring for others= Many of us will end up becoming a caregiver at some point in our lives; Tips for caring for yourself while caring for others.
- Make to-do lists, and set a daily routine
- Ask for help. Make a list of ways others can help. For instance someone might sit with the person while you do errands
- Try to take breaks each day
- Keep up with your hobbies and interests when you can
- Join a caregiver support group, There are online groups as well.
- Eat healthy foods, and exercise as often as you can
- Build your caregiver skills. Look for classes or videos to help you care for the illness your family member or friend has.